Friday, April 10, 2009

Interview with our Section Chief

Some time ago I asked David Petersen, our section chief, if he would answer a few questions in an interview by email. I thought his answers might help encourage our candidates and newer Ordeal members. Read on to see what David had to say, and look for more interviews in the future.


When were you elected, and what have you done since then?

David I got started in the Order of the Arrow when I was just over 11 years old. At the time I didn't know much about it. I just knew that I loved Scouting and that I wanted to continue it throughout my life. It sounded like a lot of fun. It was.

Why don't you start by telling us a little bit about your experience in the OA.

David The Order of the Arrow has been one of the best experiences of my life. It is really a life-changing program. My favorite times in the OA have been when I have been able to meet others. I love being able to get to know awesome guys. Some of the best people in the world are in the Order.

What are some of your favorite memories of your time in the Order?

David I have had some awesome memories in the Order of the Arrow. A few that come to mind include swinging off of a massive Zipline at Beaver High Adventure base, building catupults that launched water ballons for miles, and jumping out of a boat in rapids on a rafting trip (it was safe, but fun) with a bunch of fellow arrowmen and having a water fight. The OA is a ton of fun, excitement, mystery, and friendship. It's all good, clean fun. That's the best part.

What have been the most important lessons you've learned from the OA?

David The Order of the Arrow has taught me the true meaning of Leadership in Service. The most meaningful part of this lesson is the power that comes to your life from caring for others more than you care about yourself.

If a candidate were to come to you and ask if it was worth it to go through the Ordeal and become a member, what advice would you give him?

David I would tell him that if you take the stand to become a servant leader by experiencing the Ordeal that he will look back on it as one of the best decisions he has ever made. The Ordeal is not something to be afraid of. It is a really cool experience that binds us even closer as brothers. Go!Go!Go!

1 comment:

Michael Eyler said...

It makes me want to attend Beaver High adventure!!