Saturday, June 20, 2009

Outgoing Lodge Chief

Stephen Ferris is our outgoing lodge chief (in more ways than one, he just got his LDS church mission call to the Tacoma Washington Mission -- Good luck Stephen!) Before he turns over his position, I wanted to post this interview we did with him by email.


Stephen has been a great supporter of our chapter. He's come camping with us at Klondike and been to our Spring Ordeal, where he worked with the candidates to help clean up Camp Jeremiah Johnson.

Thanks Stephen for your support. We appreciate all you've done for us and for the Lodge.




When were you elected, and what have you done in the OA since then?

I was elected just before I turned 12 or 13. Since then, I originally became an active member of my Chapter's Ordeal Ceremony Team. At that point, I started becoming interested in leadership positions and was able to serve over Activities, Service, Ordeal Master (youth over the Ordeal), and Secretary. I often filled in for people that would assume responsibility, but would have troubles fulfilling them. I did run for Chapter Chief two times and was defeated both times. Never give up. On the Lodge, I have held the position of Secretary for two terms, and currently am serving as Chief. Again, never give up.

What are some of your favorite memories of your time in the Order?

There are so many wonderful memories that I have been able to have as I have served in these positions. I have loved getting to know people, especially knowing that, if it weren't for the positions I've held, I wouldn't have been able to meet and have gotten to know so many amazing people and had such great memories created through that.

I thoroughly enjoy camping, especially when you are at a Tepee Week and there are a bunch of white flakes falling all around you in the middle of June! Snow at Tepee Week, that was an unforgettable camp. We proved that, snow or shine, we were going to have fun, and we did.

I also have enjoyed the times where I have been able to gather around with the Lodge Executive Board (LEB) and make decisions that impact every member of our Lodge. I don't say this because we hold the fate of the Lodge in our hands, but rather, because you can truly see the love and concern that each member of the LEB has for everyone in our Lodge. A lot of thought, prayer, contemplation, hard work, and much more goes into every decision, great or small, that we make. It is an incredible thing to see and to know the love the LEB has for thier brothers in the the Tu-Cubin-Noonie Lodge and for the work they do.

What have been the most important lessons you've learned from the OA?

Brotherhood, Cheerfulness, Service. The three main points. This is what we are about. I have learned to make them a part of me. These three points are so powerful once understood and used correctly. It is amazing how they are all interwoven to the point that one of them being used will build upon the other two points. In other words, when excersizing one of these points, the others will be strengthened as well. There is more power in this organization, when used correctly, than most probably could ever imagine.

If a candidate were to come to you and ask if it was worth it to go through the Ordeal and become a member, what advice would you give him?

If you truly desire to spend yourself in the service of others, then yes, it is more than worth it. Two pieces of advice that I would give him:

First, The more you put into it, the more you will get out of it. In other words, the more active you are and seeking to be active, the more fun and enjoyment you will get out of it, and also, the more you will learn and grow from the experiences you will have.

Second, "He who serves his fellows, is of all his fellows greatest!".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Stephen is an incredible leader, and he truly DOES love everyone. I see it daily in his compassion, dedication, and work ethic.

I'm honored to be associated with him. We would do well to emulate his leadership style.